Monday, April 11, 2011

"You know Dre....you can do better..."

That phrase of words pisses me off every time i hear it....no matter the situation. I know what you may be thinking, "But Dre, what if people are just trying to help?". In that sense, I STILL get pissed, but at myself. See, I was raised to do my best at everything I do in life. When I am approached with this, generally, I am angry at myself because I am trying to figure out what I did wrong or halfway, and I will try to fix/mend whatever the situation is. Other instances, like friendships or relationships, I get angry in a different way.

Lets start with friendships. If I am friends with someone, you do not have to like them, honestly, some of the friends I have now do not like one another and have let me know on multiple occasions how they feel about one another. This is fine, but when you go out of your way to let me know that you think I can do better as far as friends, that angers me for a few reasons:

1. If I am messing up as far as having friends, what does that say about you and me being friends? Clearly I am bad a choosing them, so I might need to swap you out as well.

2. Who are you to tell me that someone I chose to have in my life is SO BAD you think I need to reevaluate my friendship with them as a whole and "do better" in the future?

3. When you formulated this opinion of yours in your head, did you think that maybe the things you see take place are not what makes up the entirety of the friendship you are critiquing? I could understand if I am being milked for all of my cash on a regular basis and you have watched this take place over a period of time, but if you dont know what goes on 100% of the time, how do you know I need to do better?

And now...relationships.....when this phrase is used in this sense, I hate it the most. Reasons are as follows:

1. When I get into a relationship with someone, I took time to get to know them and have more than their body shape as reasons why I want to be with the young lady of my choosing at the time. So for you to say this, means you are, on the outside looking in, telling me, that the time I took out was a waste and she is not right for me.

2. For you to believe I need to "do better" must mean you know someone that is better than who i thought was best for me at the time, however, 99.9999999999999% of the times I hear this said, I never hear, "You can do better, what about _________". So if you are not going to be a part of the solution, why try to fix the problem?

3. Do I try to run into your relationship and tell you what you and your significant other need to be or need not to be doing? Since that answer is now, why can you not show me the same respect?

Things like this may seem small to some, but it just irks me when people get the nerve to run up to me and tell me about my friends/girlfriends and how I need to switch things up, but are never willing to give solutions. When you can give me something that you are basing this statement on and can also give me a solution to the problem you see, then and only then will I debate taking your advice. This is what I do when I help people, what cant you just do the same? Maybe you should do better :/



ps- I love this pic and that song enjoy :D


No comments:

Post a Comment